Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Cystoscopy

Apart from the brief moment during my general surgery rotation that I thought of becoming a urologist, I was set on never touching with even a long pole any sub specialty of surgery. But It turns out I needed a surgery sub-specialty elective and there goes my journey this past month to the land of cysto, retrograde pyelogram, double J stent placement or exchange, holmium laser lithothripsy, hydrocele, supra-pubic catheter placement, trans urethral resection of bladder tumor (turbt),trans urethral resection of prostate(turp) and radical prostectomy. It however turned out to be interesting than I previously thought--great residents, very short cases for the most part. I was able to help out focusing on paper works, writing post-op orders and discharge notes. It was a pleasant experience at the end of the month plus I learned a lot about what urology do. Hmmmm...wait a minute, If I can get beyond having to routinely poke through the urethra with the cystocopic rod, may be I can become a urologist after all.

No comments: